Manchester United have been talking with Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul Niguez’s agent, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano.
Chelsea, Liverpool and Barcelona are also said to be in the mix for the 26-year-old but, speaking on the United Stand, Romano said that the Red Devils see the Spanish international as an important target:
“Manchester United are among the clubs that have been in contact with Saul Niguez’s agent. They have an interest in the player and consider him ‘one of the biggest opportunities on the market’. €40-45m (£34m-£38m) will get a deal done, no bid yet.”
Supporters on Twitter remain unconvinced about Niguez’s quality, with many suggesting that United should go after Wolves’ Ruben Neves instead:
We don’t need him.give ur ruben neves or nothing
— Duke of Eko®™© (@Duke_of_Eko) August 4, 2021
He’s so average just get a proper dm
— ‘ (@utdnathan7) August 4, 2021
That deal makes no sense
— 9 (@Filthymason) August 4, 2021
— Matt? (@Twentytimesfc) August 4, 2021
— Panya Poolsuk (@PanyaPoolsuk) August 4, 2021
I’d genuinely take Neves over Saul rn
— Continental Kwame (@apeakingsford) August 4, 2021
not a dm
— ItsDRIP (@favourativie2) August 4, 2021
— Ogre (@ETM_ogre) August 4, 2021
It is fair to say that Niguez was not at his best for Atletico last season but, even so, he is a quality midfielder who seems to be available for a relatively modest price.
One major stumbling block in getting a deal over the line though is the fact that the player prefers a move to another team. Reports in Spain suggest that Niguez is keen on making the switch to Barca, despite the fact that a swap deal, involving Antoine Griezmann, collapsed last month.