Respected Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano has reiterated claims that Paris Saint-Germain attacking midfielder Xavi Simons could leave the French giants when his contract expires this summer.
Reports in the French media yesterday suggested that PSG had offered Simons a new deal but Romano says that the proposal had been on the table for a while and his agent Mino Raiola is weighing up whether the 18-year-old should move clubs to get more first-team football:
Paris Saint-Germain offered Xavi Simons a new deal months ago. They want him to stay as he’s considered a ‘huge talent’ but his agent still wants to make sure he’ll part of first team plans. If not, he’ll leave as free agent in June. 🇳🇱🇫🇷 #PSG
Many clubs already asked for Xavi.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) December 16, 2021
Simons was linked with a transfer to Rangers in the Spanish press earlier this month, with it being said that the Scottish champions had contacted the player’s representative about a potential move to Scotland.
It was even reported that Gers boss Giovanni Bronchkorst was keen on bringing the Dutch teenager to Ibrox in the January transfer window before his current contract runs out at the end of the season.
However, that story was later denied by the Scottish media, although the conflicting reports make it hard to know who to believe. We shall have to wait and see where Simons ends up next year.