Egypt’s sports minister Ashraf Sobhi has confirmed that Liverpool forward Mo Salah remains focused on renewing his contract with the Reds.
Despite trying to encourage him to leave Anfield, Sobhi said that the 29-year-old is keen to remain at the Merseyside club:
“I have advised him to continue his journey at a club other than Liverpool, but his direction now is to renew his contract with Liverpool.”
While they took issue with the fact that an Egyptian official has been trying to persuade Salah to move teams, supporters on Twitter are also hopeful that the player will now sign a new deal:
Actions speaks louder than words
— Bruno Dacruz (@dacruz_bruno) April 5, 2022
What’s it got to do with him? What does he know?
— Jennie (@JennieW46) April 5, 2022
Just sign the contract man.
— Sylvester (@SylvesterTamang) April 5, 2022
Stick to politics and don’t advise footballers about what they should do next… 🥲
— – S e y j i t h – (@Seyjith) April 5, 2022
Wish he’d hurry up and do it then do we can stop worrying about it 😩
— Keith Hughes (@ToshHughes64) April 5, 2022
Why would he willingly give him the worst advice possible
— Strictly football (@onlyfooty22) April 5, 2022
Can we just get it done
— Jonathan (@Jonathanlfc6) April 5, 2022
There was a lot of speculation over the weekend that there has been a breakthrough in negotiations with Salah but, when asked about the situation yesterday, manager Jurgen Klopp said that the two sides remain in talks.
Barcelona had been linked with the Eqyptian international in recent days, while Paris Saint-Germain are also expected to be in the mix. However, it does seem as though the will of the player is to remain with Liverpool.