Frank Lampard is working on restructuring the defence at Stamford Bridge after his side conceded more Premier League goals (54) than Arsenal (48), Burnley (50) and Crystal Palace (50), despite ending the season in fourth place and qualifying for the Champions League.
The news of United’s interest in Jorginho will frustrate the Citizens propping our bar up. The Sky Blues missed out on signing Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal in the recent January window as the Red Devils swooped late to secure services in a straight swap deal for Armenian, Henrikh Mkhitaryan.
History could repeat itself in the summer though as United have more than enough financial power to bring the Italian to Old Trafford, leaving the 26-year-old’s future in the balance.
Jorginho has impressed a host of big-hitting clubs with his impressive displays for Sarri’s Napoli this season. The Italian could still go on to secure the Scudetto from Juventus with Napoli as they sit just a single point leaders Juventus with four games to play and have by far the easiest run-in of the two clubs.
Winning the Serie A would throw an extra few million onto the price of Jorginho, although it’s likely to deter two of the richest clubs in the world from pursuing his signature.
It has been claimed that the Citizens had tabled an offer in the region of €70m (£63m) for the 29-year-old and that a transfer could be only hours away from being completed. However, Brennan was quick to caution supporters that the stories are not accurate:
To everyone getting excited about reports from Italy that Koulibaly is happening today – calm down.
— Stuart Brennan (@StuBrennanMEN) August 19, 2020
Koulibaly is believed to be a target for City, but fans on Twitter have expressed their frustration at the contradictory reports they are hearing about the deal:
It must be said that no English source has so far confirmed that City have made a bid for Koulibaly, but there is certainly momentum gathering on this transfer happening.
City are said to be keen on adding another centre-back to the squad, following the arrival of Nathan Ake from Bournemouth, and it appears they are now firm favourites ahead of the likes of Liverpool and Manchester United for the Napoli star.